Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Tunes according to Mishelle.

While on campus today I walked through the bookstore. On the radio the song "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga was playing... Yeah, not really my style.. I believe it is artists like Lady Gaga that are responsible for the depravation of the modern music industry. It's not talent. It's a brand - modern music has become completely about that ONE song that we all hear over and over again, the one with the contagious melody and the single hook repeated continuously. I heard this song three times today... once again while at work (I was writing a citation and a car drove by with it blaring from it's speakers) and again in class (it was the ringtone of the girl sitting next to me). It's still stuck in my head...

It got me thinking... How many of us out there are actually aware of the music that does not receive airtime on the Radio or MTV? So, for this reason, I decided to post a few of my favorite tunes/albums. If you have time I suggest you check them out. This is just my (Mishelle's) opinion. But, I hope you like it.

Led Zeppelin. My favorite band of all time. My favorite album is "Led Zeppelin" the self-titled album and their first release. Check out the tunes "I Can't Quite You, Baby" and "You Shook Me", both are actually on the playlist for this blog... so, select them and turn up the volume. Robert Plant was 18 when he recorded this and Paige was effectively presenting himself as one of the greatest blues rock guitarists in history. Innovation, baby.

Radiohead. My favorite Modern band... "There, There" is a fav. Also, "True Love Waits", "All I Need", "2+2=5", and "Gagging Order" are pretty great. However, I'm a firm believer that Radiohead is incapable of writing a bad song. So yeah... Check it out.. The video album "In Rainbows...Live from the basement" is way cool. Super Awesome Talent.

The Cure. LOVE THE CURE. Robert Smith is awesome. Yeah, he's kinda weird with his lack of grooming and his physical similarities to the Joker (The Dark Knight) make him a tad creepy. But, he is still a total rock star and insanely awesome. Check out these out "Hot, Hot, Hot", "The Lovecats", "The Real Snow White", and "A Letter to Elise".

Dinosaur Jr. Good old fashioned indie rock - check out "Feel The Pain"

Fleetwood Mac. Come on... Lindsey Buckingham? Stevie Nicks? Fleetwood? Rock N' Roll Royalty. Bluesy and cool. I love them. "Big Love", "The Chain", and "Say You Love Me" are musts.

Johnny Flynn. Good Folk Music... Love this guy. Check out "Brown Trout Blues", "All The Dogs are Lying Down", "Eyeless in Holloway", and "Tickle Me Pink". Actually his entire debut album is sweet. Just check out "A Larum".

Justin Timberlake. I don't even care. This guy is cool. I like it. So, sue me.

The Smiths (and/or Morrissey). Don't expect me to pick just a few... But... For Morrissey "Hairdresser on Fire" is sweet. For the Smiths, "There is a Light that Never Goes Out" and "What Difference Does It Make"

Muse. Matt Bellamy... Check out the second album. "Origin of Symmetry".... Love it. "Space Demmentia" is way cool and if you have time... try to find some of the B Sides... Cool Stuff.

Violent Femmes. Really cool fusion going on with these guys... "Never Tell" and "Kiss Off".

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. One of the few modern bands I can honestly say I'm a big fan of. Give these a listen "Shuffle Your Feet", "Beat The Devils Tattoo", "Ain't No Easy Way", and "Spread Your Love".

Well... Jake is asking for me to kick his butt at "Medal of Honor". So, I'm going to have to go. But I hope you guys check a few of these out. :)

1 comment:

  1. This is a great list. I was glad to see Zep at the top.
    We are having a great time reading away and getting to know you better.
    Also, tell Jake I said not to forget that his Dad loved our black Ford Excursion. I will remind Mike about that!
    Have fun. We love you both, and hope you'll get to come home in the summer.

    ReplyDelete